If you are suffering with:
- Red eye
- Sticky eye (difficulty opening your eye or yellow discharge)
- Watery eye (excessive tears)
- Pain or discomfort in or around the eyes
- Recent onset or sudden increase of flashes of light or floating objects in your vision
- Or if you are unsure whether your eye problem requires medical attention
You can refer yourself to a highly trained optometrist based in a local optician’s practice, without seeing a GP, on the NHS.
Appointments are often available within two days, and many of the practices offer appointments at weekends.
Please note if you are suffering from significant pain, a sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes, chemical burns or a penetrating injury then you should go directly to the Eye Casualty department at St Thomas’ Hospital or your nearest A&E.